Dear UW-Madison Student,
All students enrolled during spring 2020, summer 2020, fall 2020 and/or spring 2021, will have the following notation included in the memorandum section of their transcripts beginning Monday, May 3, 2021: “A global public health emergency in spring 2020, summer 2020, fall 2020 and spring 2021 required marked changes to university operations that may have significantly affected student enrollment, learning and grading.”
This standard statement was recommended by the Pandemic Academic Policy Task Force appointed by Provost Scholz, which included UW-Madison students, faculty and staff. The statement was part of a set of recommendations approved by Provost Scholz and the University Committee recognizing the cumulative effects of the pandemic on students.
Here are some additional details on the notation:
- It is not optional and will display for all students including graduate and professional students
- It will appear on both official and unofficial transcripts
- It will appear on any transcript of a student enrolled on the first day of any COVID-impacted terms, even if the student subsequently withdrew
- It will appear in the memoranda section of each career in which the student was active/enrolled during one of the impacted terms
- The transcript legend/key will also be updated to reflect that this language will be presented on our transcripts.
For more information on transcripts and ordering yours, visit the Office of the Registrar website.
Scott Owczarek, Associate Vice Provost and University Registrar