Departmental Section Changes

Credit changes; Honors changes; Course Adds; or Course Drops CANNOT be made via the Class Roster.

Please notify students to correct their enrollment either using Course Search & Enroll ( or by submitting a Course Change Request. Course Change Requests must be initiated by the student in their Student Center in MyUW.

Important: If submitting section changes using the class roster, always use the graded section of the course. This section reflects the number of credits a student is enrolled for and whether the student is enrolled for honors credit. It is critical that we have this information so that section changes can be processed accurately.

Do not ‘add’ or ‘delete’ students from the printed class roster. These types of changes must be done by the student via Course Search & Enroll or using the Course Change Request.

Submitting the Class Roster for Section Changes

Use the ‘Download Grid’ feature on the class roster page. Please do not sort the spreadsheet after you’ve downloaded it. Add a column with the header ‘Change To’ at the end of the document.

Locate the name of the student requesting the section change. Please include the section(s) to be changed to and the five digit class number(s) of the new section(s).

Save the document with these changes and give it a file name that includes the subject area, course number, and term. If this is a modular course or when submitting section changes for summer terms, please incorporate the session code into the document title as well.

Attach the saved document to an e-mail and send to Our office will process the section changes indicated.


  • When submitting section changes for combined section rosters, please indicate the five-digit class number of the correct department section change (the department that the student is enrolled under).
  • Class capacity, requisites and consent of instructor will be overridden when processing section changes via rosters. Please make sure the student is eligible for the section before making section changes.
  • Caution: When a section change also involves a Credit change or Honors credit, a Course Change Request changing credits or adding or deleting honors credit must be submitted by the student.
  • Section changes made via Course Change Requests with departmental approval take precedence over section changes made via class rosters.