Instructor Consent; Department Permission; Academic Dean Approval for Enrollment

Instructor consent

Some courses will include “consent of instructor” (or similar) as a requisite, or requirement that needs to be met before you can enroll in the class. If so, contact the instructor listed for the class to request permission to enroll.

The best place to find requisites in Course Search & Enroll is the “Section Information” field in the section details panel, as that will include requirements set for the entire course and also any that are specific to a section. The “Prerequisites” field shows the requirements for the entire course.

Example with “consent of instructor” set as a requisite for the entire course:

location of instructor consent information - entire course

Example with “consent of instructor” set as a requisite for a specific section:

location of instructor consent information - specific section

Finding instructor contact info

Select the name of the instructor in the section detail panel.

In the pop-up window, the instructor’s email address will appear.

TIP: When you contact an instructor by email, send the email from your account, include your campus ID number. You may be asked for more information about your qualifications and interest in the class.

If the instructor approves you for the class, they will create a special permission for you in the enrollment system.

You still need to enroll in the class! Go to Course Search & Enroll to enroll. Get in touch with the person (instructor or someone in the department) who gave you permission if you still have problems enrolling in the class.

Department permission

Find department contact info in Course Search & Enrolllocation of department consent information - course view

Departments display their contact information for permission requests in the “Subject Notes” area of the main course panel.

Still need a contact for department permission?

When do you need department permission

Departments/programs manage the enrollment in their courses. You may need to receive department permission:

  • to enroll in a class closed to non-majors;
  • to enroll in a class when your previous courses don’t exactly meet the requisites;
  • to add or drop a class after the deadline to do so has passed;
  • and many other situations.

Example of a class with a “department permission” requisite just for this section.
location of department consent information - sections view

Example of “need permission” messages in Course Search & Enroll:

Course validation failed: You will need to obtain permission to enroll in this class. If you have a permission number, enter it in the course section details.
Course enrollment failed: You were not enrolled. This class requires permission to enroll because the deadline to enroll has passed.

You can also find examples of important academic deadlines where department permission is required:

There are no upcoming events at this time.

Academic dean approval

Students work with the academic dean’s office in their school/college in certain circumstances related to enrollment actions.

Approval from academic deans isn’t typically required when initially enrolling in a class. However, students who want to add or drop a class late in the semester, or withdraw from UW–Madison for a term, will consult with their academic dean’s office, who will ensure that the student gets the advice, planning, and support they need.

You can find examples of important academic deadlines where academic dean approval is required, such as:

There are no upcoming events at this time.

Example of a message in Course Search & Enroll:

Academic dean’s contact information

College of Agricultural and Life Sciences CALS Academic Affairs 608-262-3003 116 Agricultural Hall website
Audiology Audiology Program Coordinator 608-262-6481 374 Goodnight Hall
Wisconsin School of Business Undergraduate Academic Services 608-262-0471 3150 Grainger Hall
Division of Continuing Studies Adult Career & Special Student Services 608-263-6960 21 N. Park St., Room 7101 website
School of Education Education Academic Services 608-262-1651 139 Education Building website
College of Engineering Engineering Academic Deans Office 608-262-3484 2640 Engineering Hall website
Graduate School Graduate School Academic Services 608-262-2433 217 Bascom Hall
School of Human Ecology School of Human Ecology Student Academic Affairs 608-262-2608 1194 Nancy Nicholas Hall website
Law School Law School Student Services Office 608-262-8564 5110a Law Building
College of Letters & Science Undergraduate Academic Deans’ Services 608-262-0617 101 Mark H. Ingraham Hall
School of Medicine and Public Health contact your program office
School of Nursing Office of Academic Affairs 608-263-5202 1100 Signe Skott Cooper Hall
School of Pharmacy Pharmacy Student and Academic Affairs 608-262-6234 2220 Rennebohm Hall of Pharmacy
School of Veterinary Medicine Office of Academic Affairs 608-263-2525 2268 Veterinary Medicine Building