Credit Resources For Current Students

Taking Courses At Two Institutions Concurrently

Some UW–Madison schools and colleges have rules regarding concurrent enrollment. If you are considering taking a course at another institution while you are enrolled at UW–Madison, check first with your academic advisor or dean. This also applies to online courses.

Identifying A Course Equivalent

If you would like to view how courses may transfer back to UW-Madison, use Transferology to view course equivalents.

If you plan to enroll in a summer or winter course at another institution and the course equivalent is not listed in Transferology, you may request course equivalencies via the Course Equivalency Service between March 1 and May 15 or November 1 and December 1. You may refer to our Guidelines for Choosing Non-UW–Madison Courses when the Course Equivalency Service is closed.

After using Transferology or the Course Equivalency Service to establish whether a course is transferable, you may need to consult with your academic advisor to determine whether the transferable course work will satisfy particular degree or major requirements.

Please be aware that your school or college at UW-Madison has limits on the number of credits that can be earned in a given term. For more information, we recommend you consult with your academic advisor or an academic dean in your school or college.

Non-Sponsored Study Abroad Programs

If you have enrolled in a study abroad program that is not sponsored by UW–Madison or you plan to leave UW-Madison for a semester or more to take courses elsewhere (either at a US or foreign institution), you will need to submit a reentry application prior to returning to UW-Madison Students who study abroad through UW-Madison sponsored programs do not need to apply for reentry.

You can apply for reentry directly through the Student Center in My UW with your NetID and password. Once you have accessed the Student Center, you can find the reentry application under the “Academics” section. Get more information on reentry admissions and transfer credit for reentry students.

All credit evaluations for study abroad programs that are not approved by UW–Madison should be completed through the International Academic Programs office (IAP). Once you have applied to the foreign institution or sponsoring study abroad program of your choice, you will need to sign up for transfer credit services through IAP. You do not need to be accepted by the non-approved program to begin the sign-up process for credit evaluations. More information about transfer credit services for non-approved programs can be found on the Study Abroad website.

Once you have completed your study abroad program, you will need to send your transcript directly to IAP for evaluation. For questions about processing timelines for your study abroad credits to be visible on your DARS report, please contact IAP directly at: