Course Equivalency Service

How to submit a Course Equivalency Request

You will need to access the form using your UWMadison Google Account, which requires logging into Google with your If you are outside the U.S. and are unable to access Google, please contact

In order to complete the form, you will be required to submit a detailed syllabus. An acceptable syllabus must meet the syllabus requirements below or else the request may be delayed or denied.

Syllabus Requirements:

  • Must be from the term the course will be taken, or be from the most recent academic year.
  • Must be College/University level – not from a high school.
  • Should include learning outcomes, list of weekly topics, required textbooks, and an assignment calendars.
  • Syllabi from international institutions must be in the original language and must be accompanied by an English translation that is literal, complete, word-for-word, and in the same format as the original.
  • Examples of acceptable and unacceptable syllabi:

Important Note about China:

Courses from summer programs in China will not be eligible for transfer credit. Summer programs in China require certification from the China Higher Education Student Information and Career Center (CHESICC) in order to be eligible for course transfer. Currently, CHESICC is not providing certification for summer programs in China. Therefore, courses from these summer programs will not be eligible for transfer credit.

Students who plan to attend an official study abroad program which is not affiliated with UW–Madison should request Transfer Credit Services throughInternational Academic Programs.

We will work with faculty and academic departments to complete your Course Equivalency Service request within 4-6 weeks. You will receive an email with the result your course equivalency request – equivalency decisions are final.

Incomplete syllabi may not provide enough information to evaluate and may delay or prevent our ability to guarantee an equivalent. If you take the course without a transfer guarantee we will evaluate the course when a transcript is sent. After receiving your credit evaluation, you may submit a syllabus via a Course Reevaluation Request.

Complete the form

Important Notes

There are limits to the total number of credits a student can earn during a term.

Students can earn a maximum 12 credits during a summer term and 4 credits during a winter term. These credit limits apply to credits earned at UWMadison and any combination of colleges/universities attended during the term. In rare cases, students may be approved for a credit overload. Any credit overload requires approval from your academic dean’s office.

After using Transferology or the Course Equivalency Request form to establish whether a course is transferable, you may need to consult with your academic advisor to determine whether the transferable coursework will satisfy particular degree or major requirements.