Valid Instructor Assigned Grades

Semester grades are reported by letters only; plus and minus signs are not used. Grades in the Law School can be numeric; see specific information about law grades for further information.

The general quality of a student's work is expressed in terms of a grade point average (GPA). The GPA is based on the total number of credits taken in which grades of A through F are received. The highest possible GPA is 4.0, representing A grades in every course; the lowest possible is 0.0.

Appropriate grades for 'letter' graded courses which are computed into the GPA:

Grade Points Per Credit
A (Excellent)
AB (Intermediate grade)
B (Good)
BC (Intermediate grade)
C (Fair)
D (Poor)
F (Failure, see section below)

Appropriate grades for letter graded courses which are excluded from the GPA calculation:

I (Incomplete): A temporary grade used when work is not completed during a term.

NR: Grade not reported. Should only be used if no valid grade can be assigned, but the grading application is requiring the instructor to give some grade. This is also the temporary grade that is assigned when grades are not submitted by the instructor before the grading deadline.

NW (No Work): ..."should be used for students who enroll in a course and then never attend. 'No Work' in this context means that the instructor has no evidence that the student ever attended, in that no course work was ever submitted. Any student who does attend for part of the semester, and then stops participating should be given a grade of 'F' unless there are grounds for assignment of a grade of 'I' (Incomplete)." Fac. Doc. 1028; effective 9/94" Fac. Doc. 1028; effective 9/94.

P (Progress): A temporary grade used for courses extending beyond one term. The final grade determines the grade for each term and replaces P grades for the course. This grade is only appropriate for 2 or more courses which are really part of the same course. Undergraduate Thesis courses (681 and 691) which have a corresponding 682 or 692 pair are the most common examples. The P grade should also be assigned to graduate research courses (typically thesis and dissertation courses) in which the student has not completed the work but is making satisfactory progress.

Q (Question on Credits or Honors): a temporary grade used during grade reporting to indicate a credit problem. Should only be used when the student is enrolled for the wrong number of credits or their honors indication is incorrect.

Grades that are only appropriate for satisfactory/unsatisfactory courses:

S or U (Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory) in courses taken on the Pass/Fail basis or for courses taught on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis (graduate research courses). This grade is not appropriate for an instructor to assign unless the course is a satisfactory/unsatisfactory course or it has been determined by your school or college as an acceptable grade. Undergraduate students should never be assigned an S grade if the course is an A-F graded course. When a graduate student has completed their research, an S grade is the appropriate grade to give them in the final semester of this work.

Other grades that could be assigned are: I, NR, NW, and Q.

Grades that are only appropriate for credit/no credit courses:

CR: Credit received for a course taught on the credit/no credit basis.

N: No credit received for a course taught on the credit/no credit basis.

IN (Incomplete), an incomplete grade given for CR/N courses.

Audited Courses:

AU (Audited Course): Audited courses, denoted as such by 'AU' in place of a number of credits, are graded either 'S' (Satisfactory) or 'NR' (No Report) or 'NW' (No work). AU is not a grade.


University of Wisconsin-Madison
Office of the Registrar
333 East Campus Mall #10101
Madison, WI 53715-1384
7:45am – 4:30pm (M-F)
Contact Us