What it is & how it can affect a student's record

An Incomplete may be reported for a student who has carried a subject with a passing grade until near the end of the semester and then, because of illness or other unusual and substantiated cause beyond their control, has been unable to take or complete the final examination, or to complete some limited amount of term work. An Incomplete is not given to a student who stays away from a final examination unless the student proves to the instructor that they were prevented from attending as indicated above. In the absence of such proof the grade shall be F; even with such proof, if their work has convinced the instructor that they cannot pass, the grade shall be F.

Any subject taken by an undergraduate student in the College of Letters and Science marked Incomplete must be completed by the end of the fourth week of classes of the student's next semester of residence at the University (exclusive of summer sessions) or it will lapse into a Failure. If an instructor grants an extended incomplete, a grade change will need to be filed by the instructor, approved by the chairperson of the department, and forwarded to the Dean's Office. In such cases the grade of I or IN is replaced with the grade of EI. Any subject taken by undergraduates in other colleges must be completed by the end of the student's next semester in residence (exclusive of summer sessions). Incompletes incurred in the last semester of residence may not be removed after five years of absence from the University without special advance permission of the Associate Dean. Such Incompletes must remain on the record with grades of PI and do not lapse into failures.

College or School Special Students are subject to the rules applicable to their respective unit regarding the completion of Incompletes. University Special Students have until the end of their next semester in residence (exclusive of Summer Sessions) to complete their work and receive a final grade. For graduate students, grades of Incomplete are considered to be unsatisfactory if they are not removed during the next semester in residence. Questions should be referred to the Graduate School Office, 217 Bascom, (608) 262-2433.

Note regarding L&S Undergraduates: If a student enrolls with an Incomplete grade from a previous semester and is dropped later in the semester because the Incomplete has lapsed to an F or has been changed to a low grade, and the student is not given dean's permission to continue, the student will be withdrawn with an effective date within the refund period closest to the time of the student's actual withdrawal. This policy recognizes that the University has not neglected to provide the student with timely information for educational planning, and that the student has chosen to enroll despite the possible negative impact of the Incomplete.


University of Wisconsin-Madison
Office of the Registrar
333 East Campus Mall #10101
Madison, WI 53715-1384
7:45am – 4:30pm (M-F)
Contact Us