Graduate School Policy

The Graduate School requires a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) for all graduate level courses (courses numbered 300 and above, excluding research, audited, pass-fail courses) to receive a degree. Grades of BC and C can be used to satisfy the graduate residence requirement only if they are offset by grades of AB or A in graduate level course work. Grades of D and F do not count for residence purposes; however, they are included in the computation of the grade point average. The graduate GPA does not appear on the transcript.

An Incomplete grade must be resolved by the end of the next semester in residence (exclusive of summer sessions); however, an earlier deadline may be imposed by the instructor. If not resolved within this time frame, the grade remains an Incomplete but is considered to be an unsatisfactory grade. In unusual circumstances an Incomplete may be made permanent (PI) at the request of the student's adviser or course instructor. An Incomplete older than five years automatically is converted to a PI.

If a course has been structured to offer the S/U grading option, a grade of S in the course would means a grade of B or better. The Graduate School accepts such courses for the residence requirement and course credit.


University of Wisconsin-Madison
Office of the Registrar
333 East Campus Mall #10101
Madison, WI 53715-1384
7:45am – 4:30pm (M-F)
Contact Us