Appealing the Non-Resident Status

Initial residence determinations for tuition purposes at the University of Wisconsin-Madison are made by the Office of the Registrar based on the provisions of Wisconsin Statutes 36.27(2) which governs residence status for tuition purposes. In general, you must be a bona fide resident of Wisconsin for at least 12 months prior to enrollment to be eligible for in-state tuition.

If you still have questions about your residence classification after reading the extract of Wisconsin Statutes 36.27(2), or you feel that your classification is incorrect or that you have important extenuating or mitigating factors, you may contact a Tuition Residency Counselor and/or submit an Appeal for Exemption from Nonresident Tuition form by the appropriate deadline.

It is our goal to make students residents whenever possible in accordance with the State law. While every student has the right to submit an appeal, a consultation with a Residence Counselor can help you determine whether moving forward with an appeal is a prudent decision. The Counselor will provide guidance and will give a professional opinion about the likelihood of a successful appeal based on the circumstances of your situation. Having a clear understanding of the law and the appeals process could save you a good deal of time and energy.

Availability and deadlines for submission of the Application for Appeal from Nonresident Tuition

The Appeal for Exemption from Nonresident Tuition Form