Veteran Services and Military Assistance

University of Wisconsin-Madison is committed to serving our Student-Veterans!

At UW-Madison, you will join over 600 veterans, Reserve and Wisconsin National Guard members, active duty and ROTC cadets along with 42,000 other students. Veterans and service members are encouraged to take advantage of all the opportunities that come with attending a Big Ten school such as the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Take time to explore our options for Undergraduate Majors or the many Postgraduate Programs offered at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Please contact the VA Certifying Official, Joe Rasmussen (608) 265-4628, or John Bechtol, Assistant Dean of Students (608) 890-2701, to receive assistance with questions and paperwork.

 Please visit the Office of Admissions and Recruitment for more information or contact Admissions' Veterans Liaison, Lori Christianson.

Veteran Benefits

Post 9/11 GI Bill

The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon program covers unpaid non-resident charges for student veterans who are approved the Post 9/11 GI Bill at the 100% rate. 

Available slots will be filled with students on a first come first served basis. If you are already participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program at UW-Madison you do not need to reapply.

To apply for participation in the program:

  • Along with the application, submit your Certificate of Eligibility Letter from the VA indicating approval for benefits at the 100% rate.

Wisconsin GI Bill

The Wisconsin GI Bill provides remission of 100% of standard academic and segregated fees as a University of Wisconsin System institution to eligible Wisconsin veterans and their dependants. For more information, contact your County Veteran Service Officer or UW-Madison Veteran Services.

Other Programs

Student Support

Tutoring Services

Tutoring at UW-Madison

UW-Madison students may take advantage of Greater University Tutoring Service (GUTS). 

Chemistry Learning Center

Physics Learning Center

Math Lab

VA Tutoring Program

Students using a federal GI Bill may be eligible for the VA's Tutorial Assistance Program, which can reimburse a student for the costs of an approved tutor, up to $100 a month.

Veterans, Educators and Traditional Students (V.E.T.S.) Organization

 V.E.T.S. is a strong student-veteran organization that has been on campus since 1972 and serves as UW-Madison's local Student Veterans of America chapter.

Health Care

 Eligible veterans may use the William S. Middleton Memorial VA Hospital located just west of campus. To determine eligibility, contact Ms. Cari Myles, the OEF/OIF/OND Veterans outreach Coordinator at (608) 256-1901 ext. 11297. If you served at least one day in a combat theater, medical care is provided for five years after you separate from active duty at minimal cost.

University Health Services (UHS) is the student health center at UW-Madison. All enrolled UW-Madison students are eligible to use UHS. See their website for more information. 

McBurney Disability Resource Center

The McBurney Disability Resource Center serves UW-Madison students with physical, learning, sensory or psychological disabilities substantially affecting a major life activity


University Health Services is located at 333 East Campus Mall (same building as the Veteran Services and Military Assistance and Vets for Vets). See their webpage for hours and contact information.  

Middleton Memorial VA Hospital provides consultation, evaluation, and treatment for a variety of issues that can impact emotional well-being. 

Located on Williamson St., the Madison Vet Center offers readjustment counseling, marital and family counseling, job counseling, and more. See their webpage for eligibility.

Taking Summer Courses

 Post 9/11 GI Bill

Rate of Pursuit: VA calculation to determine full-time/part-time status.

  • Tuition and Fees are still covered at the same percentage as standard terms (Fall & Spring).
  • The amount of time subtracted from remaining benefits is based on your start and end date of courses.
  • During standard terms (Fall & Spring), full time is 12+ credits for undergraduates. 
  • Summer terms are "non-standard" and full time status is based on number of credits taken per week. "Summer" is not a term the VA recognizes. If courses have different start or end dates, they will be considered separate sessions. This is not the same calculation UW-Madison uses for full time status.
If your "Rate of Pursuit" is found to be less than full time, BAH payments will be prorated (no BAH is paid if found to be 50% or less). If you would like to verify what your status will be with the VA prior to enrolling in summer courses, send a question to the VA via the "Ask a Question" feature with the information below.

I am an undergraduate student at UW-Madison using Post 9/11 GI Bill and would like to know what my Rate of Pursuit would be if I took these courses:

Course start and end dates:     # of credits:

MM/DD/YYYY - MM/DD/YYYY for __ credits

MM/DD/YYYY - MM/DD/YYYY for __ credits


Jane Doe

How can I contact the VA?

For questions with federal benefits you can email the VA using the secure "Ask a Question" feature. 

You can also call the VA toll-free at: 1(888) 442-4551.

Questions on state benefits can be directed to the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs at: 1(800) 947-8387.

What do I need to complete if I am a transfer student?

The majority of military veteran students at UW-Madison come with transfer credits. If you were using GI Bill educational benefits at another school, you must complete the required paperwork before you can use the benefit at UW-Madison.

Federal Benefits (Post 9/11, GI Bill-SR, Montgomery GI Bill, ect.)

Visit the GI Bill website and click on the "Apply for Benefits" box. You will need to complete VA Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.

Wisconsin GI Bill

Complete form WDVA 2029 and email (or mail) a completed copy to the Veteran Services Office.

333 E. Campus Mall
Suite 10301
Madison, WI 53715

How many months of benefits do I have remaining?

UW-Madison does not have the ability to check availability of federal benefits. Sign up for an eBenefits account to check remaining benefits.

For questions about the Wisconsin GI Bill, UW-Madison Veteran Services can assist you. You can simply send an email to to request your balance. 

When will I recieve my GI Bill payment?

Post 9/11 GI Bill

Tuition is sent directly to the University approximately 10-14 prior to the start of the term, and the VA also disburses the Books/Supplies Stipend directly to the student at the same time.

BAH/Monthly Housing Allowance is based on the E-5 with dependents rate for the 53715 ZIP code. Monthly payments are made directly to the student at the beginning of the month for the prior month of training (payment for September will come on or near October 1st).

Montgomery GI Bill and MGIB-SR (Chapter 30 and 1606/1607)

You must verify your enrollment at the end of each month in order to receive payment for that month. Follow the attached link for information on verifying enrollment on the VA's help page.

Wisconsin GI Bill

If you are using the WI GI Bill to cover 100% of your tuition, you should be able to see the waiver applied to your student account prior to the start of the term. If you have questions or have not yet had your waiver applied, contact the Veteran Services Office.

For students using Post 9/11 GI Bill and WI GI Bill combinations, you will not have the WI GI Bill applied to your account until payment from the Post 9/11 GI Bill is received from the VA.
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Office of the Registrar
333 East Campus Mall #10301
Madison, WI 53715-1384
(608) 265-4628
Hours: Monday thru Friday, 7:45 am - 4:30 pm
Fax (608) 265-5959