Call Up Information

Information for Students re: Call-Ups and the University of Wisconsin-Madison

Leaving the University

  • Contact your Academic Dean's office to determine the best course of action.
  • Withdrawal: If the term has already begun, you should submit a withdrawal form with your academic dean's office. The form must identify the current date as the "date of withdrawal," and give "called to active duty" as the withdrawal reason. This must be written on the form because the web form does not offer this reason as an option. The Registrar's Office will process the withdrawal and arrange for a full refund.
  • Selective Drops: You may choose to drop one or more courses and elect to complete remaining course work according to the options noted below. A full refund of dropped courses will be honored.
  • Incompletes: If you have successfully completed the majority of work for a course, a grade of "I" can be awarded at the discretion of the instructor. It may be possible for you to be granted an extension on your incompletes if you are gone for an extended period of time.
  • Final Grades: If your instructor determines that a sufficient amount of course work has been completed, and there is sufficient information about your performance in the course, an instructor may choose to award a final grade. You must consult with your instructor to determine whether these two requirements have been met.
  • If you currently have loans, please contact your lender for information regarding being on active duty. If you have loans processed through the UW Bursar's Office, please see the Mobilization Guidelines or contact (608)262-1791 for more information.
  • You will need to submit a copy of your orders to Student Veteran Services, Office of the Registrar, 333 East Campus Mall #10301 .

    If you call, (608) 265-4628 , ask to be connected with Student Veterans Servies. Indicate that you are called-up for active duty. If you have questions about your GI Bill benefits, please contact Student Veterans Servies at (608) 265-4628.
  • If you have financial aid, please contact Heide Johnson of the Office of Student Financial Aid 333 East Campus Mall #9701, (608)262-3060.
  • If you live in University housing (except Eagle Heights), please contact the Division of University Housing, lower level of Slichter Hall, (608)262-2873.
  • If you live in Eagle Heights, please contact the Univeristy Apartments Office, (608)262-3407.
  • If you have SHIP insurance, please contact a customer service representative at (608)265-5232.

    If you do not have sufficient time to make the appropriate contacts before you leave Madison, please contact Student Veteran Services who can assist you in notifying the applicable University offices. However, we do encourage you to make these contacts yourself if possible.


Returning to the University

  • If you are eligible to continue for the next fall or spring term, you will be sent your enrollment appointment time via your email address listed on the My UW-Madison portal at If you don't have an email address identified in My UW, a notice will be sent to the home address that is recorded in My UW.
  • When you are ready to return to UW-Madison, please notify Student Veteran Services ( of your plans so we can reactivate your enrollment eligibility if necessary. You will be notified of your enrollment appointment time as outlined above.
  • If you took transfer coursework during your leave from UW-Madison, submit your transcript to the Office of Admissions so that the transfer credit can be posted to your Madison record. To ensure priority enrollment based on the additional transfer credits you earned, you may wish to submit an application for readmission. (Application fee is not required. You may apply online or print out the form at If you print out the form, you need not complete questions 22, 23 or Sections IV, VI, VIII.)
  • If applicable, contact all of the University offices noted above about your return to the University (for example: financial aid, housing, admissions, your college dean's office). We wish you a safe return to the University of Wisconsin-Madison!